Saturday, April 2, 2011

{Our} April Resolution

I have to admit, I did not do as well as I would have liked for my March resolution. I only got 3 of the books I listed read, although I did read a "fun" book and I started and got about halfway through Rob Bell's new book, Love Wins. My library hold was honored much sooner than I anticipated. Don't ask me what I think of it yet. I really don't know. I've been doing a pretty good job keeping up with the housework schedule I gave myself in February, although a big part of that is nesting, I'm thinking. Also, I'm about 3 or 4 days behind on my bible reading, but I'm keeping up with that too. Now, on to this month!
Last week, we purchased wood, paint, and other needed tools to make the bunk beds! So, while Jeremy was away yesterday working hard on those, I had one of those overwhelming desires to paint the kitchen. We've lived here for nearly 8 years and the kitchen is the only room in the house that we have done nothing with, under the pretense that we are just around the corner from being able to gut it and recreate it exactly how we'd like to. I've come to the conclusion that our complete remodel is never going to happen, and that I need to make the best of what I have. Which meant that I painted, on a whim, while Jeremy was out of the house for the day. Thankfully, he took it well.
He even took my idea for a birthday present for me (yes, I'm going to be 30! on Tuesday - yikes!) of tying up all of the "loose end" projects around the house. We'll see how he feels after the bunk beds are finished. But because of this, my (our) April resolution is going to be to get this house truly ready for a new baby. The hole in the kitchen wall from hooking up new electric? Patched. The wallpaper we started peeling in the stairwell nearly 7 years ago? Completely torn down and painted. Finish painting the hallway, touch up paint in the boys room, clean out the linen closet (seriously, how did that get so much junk in it?), clean out the basement, paint the kitchen cabinets, clean off the back porch, start putting stuff aside for the major garage sale we'll be having this summer. All that good stuff. And of course, bunk beds!! I think we are going to have a busy month. And that Jeremy will never again ask me what I want for my birthday when I'm pregnant. This whole nesting thing is the pits for him!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, a funny story. Yesterday, as I was getting everything out to paint the kitchen, someone knocked at the front door. I love that our storm door locks and has a screen I can easily slide open for occasions when someone I don't know is knocking at the door, just like yesterday. I said hello, and he said (this is a direct quote), "Hi, is your mom or dad home?" I kid you not. I will be 30 in just a few days, and he's asking to speak to my parents. I informed him that I was indeed the homeowner. I suppose that ought to make me feel better about getting older!

5 comments:

Jenney said...

So when you get done at YOUR house, you can just travel down and start on ours? Ok? thanks!

Aunt Jeanette said...

Good for you! For getting so ambitious and accomplishing so much...and for staying so young looking in the process :)

Lacey said...

lol.... almost 30 AND 8 month pregnant.... nice :)

Kim M said...

Today is your birthday!!!! Happy Birthday Meliss! You make this mama proud!

Love you Sweetie,
Mom

Creativetreasures - Joyner's said...

Love the blog Melissa. Was home sick and still em but reading your happenings brought great Joy!