Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Little Update.

This week, I got a compliment on my recent "change my life" quests. I guess I'd never really thought about it like I was out to "change my life", but I think that's a little bit true. Consider it a "mid-life" crisis on the idea that I'll be turning.... (gulp) THIRTY very soon. I guess there are some areas of my life that I'd like different: my spiritual growth, my house being cleaner/more organized, working on self more than other things. So, I'm on a mission, in this year of thirty, to change myself into what I'd rather be.
We recently canceled our cable. We've had it for more than 6 years, and because of the cable, the TV had become a fixture in our household. The first thing the kids would ask for after getting up (from night time or nap time) was a show or a movie. HGTV was our go-to Saturday companion. I wouldn't go to bed until at least midnight because there was always something to watch. I'd even sleep with the TV on overnight on the nights that Jeremy was working. The TV was becoming a problem.
When Lent rolled around for this year, my first thought was, "Let's get rid of TV!" I thought I'd have a hard time convincing my family, but I didn't! Jeremy was right on board, even suggesting we cancel the cable (why pay for something for 6 weeks that we aren't using)! He went through and unplugged everything so it couldn't be a temptation, because if I was honest, I'm not sure I could figure out how to plug everything back in! The kids don't even ask anymore to watch - it's a non issue.
Jeremy and I have found ourselves "connecting" more - we talk and read and go to bed at a decent time. I don't find myself planning the kids schedules based on the big black box. (Yes, I was totally guilty of trying to throw them in bed early because of the TV.) We get more done around the house. Today's project is starting on cleaning out the basement. I don't even think the kids miss it - the first thing they reach for after getting up is toys instead of the remote.
This Lenten time has been a good time to reflect on the sacrifice we are making, while thinking forward to the celebration of the sacrifice Jesus made so many years ago. This past weekend, our youth pastor at church spoke about being "Set Apart". He spoke on how our relationship with Jesus really calls us to be different than those around us - others should be able to look at us and realize that we are different. He asked the questions: What have you had to give up that you didn't want to because of Jesus? What have you had to do that you didn't want to do because of Jesus? How is your life different than those around you because of Jesus? Doesn't the Lenten season really make you consider what sacrifices we are making our own lives in relation to the sacrifice God made for us?

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Love it. good job mel.... :)

Kim M said...

I'm really proud of you Melissa!

Love,
Mom

Jenney said...

We have completely given up secular radio. It wasn't easy...but I don't even think about it anymore.
I'm proud of you! What a good example you are to all of us readers and to your kids.