Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness

I am not a good housekeeper. I never have been, but I hope to be better at it one day. When it comes right down to it, I would rather do just about anything else besides clean. Of course I like it when my house is in order and there isn't stuff everywhere, as it tends not to be with two small boys living here. However, it doesn't really bother me to let things go a bit, until someone wants to stop by or I trip over toys on my way to the kitchen. Believe me, if the above saying is correct, I am far from a godly person.
I never learned to love a clean house - or better yet, I never learned to love to clean my house and keep it neat and tidy. Honestly, growing up, it was something we did when we were having company over (sorry Mom for throwing you under the bus there) because we were so darn busy: church 3 times a week, sports practices and games, weekend outings, etc. Naturally, that's my mode of operation now too: clean when it becomes necessary. There are actually days when I wish that I was just a touch of a germaphobe (not too sure on the spelling of that one!) or that I actually enjoyed cleaning. Mostly, I just wish that we could afford to have a cleaning lady come in once a week or month. No luck yet on any of those things.
In light of all of this realization, I'm coming up with a resolution for the month of February too: I'm creating a chore list for me (and my husband, when he wants to pitch in!) that I will keep up with everyday! I've had some success at keeping up with my resolution for 2011 (here's a reminder in case you don't remember!), and I've decided that I think I'd really like to make this the year of a brand new Melissa. Nothing too drastic, but give myself monthly goals/standards too live up to. So, in case you were wondering, here's my chore list (I'm assigning a room per day to clean, along with some other daily activities):

Monday: Living Room and laundry (including putting it away)
Tuesday: Bathroom
Wednesday: Playroom and laundry (including putting it away)
Thursday: Kitchen
Friday: Bedrooms and laundry (including putting it away)
Saturday: Hallway/Stairs in addition to clean sweep of all rooms
Sunday: Day of Rest
Everyday: pick up stuff, toys put away, dishes done, counter tops/stove top clean

I'm currently writing this out on a pretty piece of paper (or plain ol' notebook paper) for my refrigerator (our printer is not currently hooked up to our computer, and it's too much hassle to print something out). I will commit to this schedule, I WILL!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is nearly the last day of the month, I thought I'd update you on my progress with my actually New Year's Resolution. I'm currently caught up on my daily reading, along with a short daily devotional on the life of Paul (by Beth Moore). I'm also trying to catch up on another short daily devotional that I really enjoy, but I'm a tad farther behind on that one. I've also realized that while my time in the word is becoming more sufficient, my quiet time and prayer time is lacking. I'm trying to work on that now. A couple of ladies from my Monday night Bible study suggested keeping a prayer journal by recording and praying over scripture that I'm reading that's really impacting me. I love that idea, and I am planning on implementing it. I'd love your prayer and support in those areas that I'm working on now. Thanks!

5 comments:

Erin Morgan said...

Melissa - I am very much like you are when it comes to house cleaning. I remember having the same "cleaning schedule" when we were kids (ie only when guests were coming over). Last year, I had a cleaning lady for about 6 months. And although I really enjoyed having her, I learned more than I thought I would. One suggestion I would give you is to get some "rags" to do your cleaning with. I have a stack in my laundry room that I use (a new one each day). Then I've gotten Mr. Clean liquid and mix my own strength in a spray bottle. This stuff is awesome. You can use it on counters, cabinets, faucets etc. I refill it at least once a week because I use it on everything! After I pick up after dinner, all it takes is a quick spray of the counter and a quick wipe down, and it's done. I even use the spray in the bathroom on the sinks, handles and outside of the bowl. Super easy!!

Kim M said...

Way to go Melissa! Getting a handle on it now will relieve much stress later! You CAN break the cycle - as adults we always have choices to make, I'm glad you are making this choice now.

I will be praying for your daily quiet/prayer/getting in the Word time. Everything you mentioned in this post is disciple, never easy but always beneficial.

Love you,
Mom

Jenney said...

We have a fridge schedule too! Every day of the month has a list of things that need to be done and most days we get all but one or maybe 2 things done. So hard to keep everything done with little ones, but so much less stress when everything is clean and organized!

I'm doing a Beth Moore right now too.

Kevin P. Mahan said...

Miss, you are amazing and so inspirational.

We both have the tendency to life experiment and stick to things we really want to do. I think you'll make these habit in no time and see a whole new change.

After reading this, I'm going to refresh my morning routine commitment tomorrow.

megs said...

You've inspired me, and I've started talking with Mike about committing to a chores routine (and not thinking about it as chores as much as home maintenance). We just need to keep up with things more.

My mom suggested looking at the tips from FlyLady, and I'm considering taking some of the advice and starting a routine... small at first and then going from there.. http://www.flylady.net

(I'm thinking I'll do FlyLady step one tonight, and scrub my sink, I've spent this week committed to not going to bed with dishes in the sink and it is time to make it SHINE!)