Friday, July 23, 2010

Berry Cream Muffins

On a suggestion from a friend on Facebook (who also reads my blog), I'm posting a fantastic recipe that I baked yesterday. It's a recipe borrowed from the Taste of Home Cookbook:

BERRY CREAM MUFFINS
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Combine these and set aside.
1-1/2 cup berries (The recipe calls for 1-1/2 cup berries to be tossed in the dry mixture, but I mashed them and added them to the wet mixture. And I used closer to 2 cups of berries.)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream (I substituted 1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I substituted 1/2 cup applesauce - healthier!)(However, I figured out that you need a little bit of the oil. I did about half oil, half applesauce on the second batch which turned out a bit better.)
1/2 tsp vanilla
Combine wet ingredients; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients until
just moistened.
Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes (I think it was a couple minutes longer for me. I'm pretty sure they were in there for 25-27 minutes.) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.

As my mother-in-law commented, "They taste like more!" meaning she wanted more after just having one. These things are so good and so addictive! Beware.
I did manage to get about a dozen of raspberry and a dozen of blueberry into the freezer (I made 2 dozen - one batch - of each). Hopefully they freeze well. I suppose time will tell.
I think I need a muffin now...

No comments: