Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

Growing up in a Christian home and attending a Christian school, I was always aware of what Lent was. I believed it was a Catholic tradition where a person would give up something for 40 days in preparation for Easter, the 40 days signifying the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert being tempted by Satan. I've even participated in Lent once or twice before, just because.
This year is different. I've been inspired by my friend, and by her honestly and her dedication to her children. I am also choosing to give up something that is a weakness in my life: sugar. I have come to the conclusion over the past several months that I am not the most healthy person. I was drinking a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi a day and sometimes skipping meals in favor of snacking on candy or other junk. Not good. Especially for someone who is supposed to be training her children. Proverbs 22:6 says, "Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it." I hate to think that I am training my children to not take care of the body the Lord gave them, like I have. So, I'm slowly making changes. It's no longer about how the world looks at me, because I've done that before. Now, it's about being a good steward over what God's provided me with - and being a good example for my children.
Now I've given up pop, which is actually going quite well so far. My next step is to give up sugar for 40 days, and to really concentrate on how I'm treating my body. Hopefully these are lifelong changes that my kids will notice over time.

2 comments:

Assistant Ring Master said...

Good for you! We can be accountability partners on the girls weekend - I am sure there will be tons of sugar and partially hydrogenated oils there!

nancy said...

Awesome!