Saturday, December 5, 2009

The One In Which I Mention A Multitude of Things

My, my. It has been a very long time since I've posted something. My apologies. You see, I've been very busy...

Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving was a real treat for us this year. My brother, his wife, my mom and my dad all made the trip across the state to visit us this year. Naturally, since Uncle Kevin and Auntie Rachel haven't been here in a couple of years, I decided to "spring clean" for them (honestly, I'm not the cleanest, most organized person around) which included rearranging furniture, etc. That definitely took away from the blogging time I had available.
We were able to join Jeremy's family at his sister's new house for Thanksgiving dinner along with her in-laws (our neighbors - small world/town). It was a bitter-sweet day, spending the time with family and friends, but the thought never quite left that there was someone missing this year. I think Christmas will be even more difficult.

Black Friday
Yes, I did yank myself out of bed to shop on the busiest shopping day of the year. I do it every year. I love it. I think there is something about the thrill of the hunt that excites me. Also, the amazing deals! I managed to hit all 4 stores I wanted to get to in just over 4 hours. Considering that one of those was Target (by FAR the busiest store of the day), I think I made pretty good time. Also, pending a decision by Jeremy's family on what we are doing as far as exchanging presents (uh, if you are reading, 3 more weeks - we need to decide!), I managed to get almost all of my Christmas shopping done for this year. I love Black Friday and it's deals.

Jayce's 3rd Birthday
November 27th was Jayce's third birthday. How wonderful was it that we were able to celebrate with Uncle Kevin and Auntie Rachel. We rarely have a chance to celebrate on his birthday with our out of town family. We also made the trip over to my parents' house that day, so we were able to have a big celebration with my Grandma D too. Jayce got lots of great presents, most of them Cars related - after all, he (we) are infatuated with with the movie right now. We also had a birthday party for our in town family and friends at Chuck E. Cheese earlier in the week. Jayce, Grayson, and several friends had a ton of fun playing games, eating pizza and birthday cake, and watching Chuck E. Cheese sing and dance. I'd chalk it up to another successful birthday party, especially because I didn't have to do the clean-up!

Family
We traveled to my parents' house the day after Thanksgiving to spend more time with family. We got to hang out with Uncle Kevin and Auntie Rachel for a few more days, going to Canterbury Village and riding the carousel and looking at the "pretty lights" around the park. We had a fantastic time just immersing ourselves in a family gathering. If you know our family at all, you also know that we played lots of cards, a little Wii, and lots more cards. Rook and Hand and Foot were the games of choice for the weekend. I positively dominated (and for those who have a different memory of the weekend, tough. This is my blog. I post what I want to.) Kevin and Rachel took off Sunday after church since they had a very long drive back to Virginia.

Grandma Rose
On Thanksgiving Day, we received news that my Grandma Rose (my dad's step-mother) had passed away after a very short battle with lung cancer. The boys and I were able to be there for the visitations and funeral. Unfortunately, Jeremy could not spare the time off at work, so he had to head back home last Monday afternoon. The boys and I stayed at my parents' house until Tuesday evening. My mom drove back to our house with us so that she could retrieve my parents' car that Jeremy brought back. I promptly beat my mom 3 games to none at Hand and Foot after we got the kids in bed. (Sorry, Mom. I had to do it. Grandma would be so proud.)

New Computer
We purchased a laptop about four years ago and since then, it has been our main computer. A few months ago, we got a new charger because the old one seemed to be having problems. We had actually taped it to the computer at one point because that was the only way to secure it well enough to get it to charge. The new cord worked wonders at first, but slowly it became more and more finicky and difficult to charge. Nowadays, we have to position the cord in a very particular way, and not move it at all (kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop, right?) in order for it to work. Also, the battery only lasts for about 45-60 minutes off of the power cord. Therefore, Jeremy and I have been searching for a new computer for our home. We've finally found something that we really like, and we made the purchase yesterday! I love our new computer (and that we were able to pay cash for it!) and the fact that I can now successfully blog again.

Snow
Yes. I said snow. Thursday night Jeremy and I sat down and watch several episodes of How I Met Your Mother. While we were watching, Jeremy mentioned something about looking outside. I kind of blew it off. As we were getting ready for bed, I looked out and saw what I can only assume (without actually measuring) was about 4 inches of snow. 4 INCHES!! I was unhappy about our first snowfall, since I was secretly hoping for none until Christmas. Little did I know that the next morning I would wake up to ONE FOOT OF SNOW ON THE GROUND. I could not believe my eyes! It was.... appalling. Disgusting. Gross. Awful. Jeremy was outside shoveling the driveway for two hours, and it kept coming down. The only positive to our snowfall was that the boys and I had a terrific time playing outdoors for a hour. Jayce was walking around in the snow that went up to just below his knees; Grayson kept on falling down with the bulk of his snow pants and huge coat. They both spent some time being pulled on a sled. I'd say that the time outdoors was seen as a positive. And then it snowed more today. I'm over it.

Meijer Gardens
Oh yes, we love Meijer Gardens in the wintertime also. For a couple of months at Christmastime, the entire indoor area is decorated for Christmas with trees from around the world. It is beautiful and educational. There is also a train set up in another area that the boys really enjoyed watching. We actually had a very hard time pulling Jayce away from the train area. The boys were enthralled with the trees, so we now getting excited about putting up our tree and lights. In fact, we bought some extra lights today so that we could decorate the outside of our house for the first time!

Well, I think that's about it. That's what has been going on for the past week and a half. I am planning on posting pictures and/or videos from all of the happenings from the last week or so. I'm just starting to figure out how to get them on the new computer!

3 comments:

Cop Mama said...

Welcome back! I totally understand the Cars fascination. Sprout sings, "Life is a highway, I wanna drive it" all the time! Is your little guy scared by the combine scene? I personally like Mater :-)

Kevin P said...

Hey, did you get the computer tower to hook up to the TV like you wanted or another laptop?

Kim M said...

Wow - now that was a "catch up" post! Nicely done - it was fun re-living so much of it through your stories.