Saturday, November 7, 2009

What a Crappy Day. I Am So Blessed.

Someone asked me today, "Hi, how's your day going?" Naturally, I gave the obligatory reply, "fine." But, do you want me to be honest? It's not going well. Here's why:

** Jayce (and Grayson) had a very difficult time sleeping last night. He was up and moving around in bed until for at least an hour after he went to bed. Around 11:30, he woke up screaming. I went in to check on him, and he'd pooped. I changed his diaper (he still wears diapers to bed because, well, he's not really potty trained at all - but that's beside the point), and tried to get him back to sleep. Then, Jayce woke up at 12:30am screaming. I went in again, and he told me that he'd had a bad dream about a tall, scary man. Ok... I tried to get him back to sleep, and he told me that his teeth were hurting him. I finally decided to give him a little bit of Motrin (you know, in case his teeth were actually hurting, and so that the kid would sleep!!), and left him to go to sleep. I finally went to bed at about 1:30 in the morning. At 3:45am, I awoke to the sound of children giggling and jumping and pounding on our shared wall. I was mad! I went into the boys room and I found Jayce IN the crib with Grayson, along with a myriad of things from around the room. I have no clue how he got in there, I just know they were standing at the end of the crib jumping and laughing. A spanking, a firm talking-to, several hugs and kisses, and many tears later, the boys were back in their respective beds, and I was sleeping somewhat-soundly in my own. (Thank God for a wonderful husband who allowed me to sleep in much later than I should have because he did work last night...)

** I decided to run some errands this morning, including an intended-short trip to WalMart. If you choose to shop at this store (and I do because it's cheap for certain items), do not go there on a Saturday morning! The place was packed with (rude) people, and it was nearly impossible to navigate with one child riding, one child walking.

** With my lunch today, I decided to have a large glass of caffeine-infused Diet Pepsi, because, well, I needed a little bit of a pick-me-up. Jayce had finished his lunch, and I got him down and sent him to the back room before taking a nap. While I was trying to get him to come over to me, so I could help him get dressed for bed, he ignored me and pulled a library book off of the table. The very book my full glass of soda was sitting on (with a coaster, because I didn't want to get the book wet, you know). The cup spilled all over the table, soaking ads, coupons, paperwork, and library books. I was livid! Not only because of the spill, but because of the direct disobedience that led to the spill.

** While I was cleaning up the mess that Jayce made, Grayson kept on giving me the sign for "all done". I went over to help get him cleaned up, and he went back to eating. So, I left him to clean up the rest of the mess. All of a sudden, I hear a gagging sound, and I look over at Grayson, and it would appear my bulimic baby is back. His hand was down his throat, and he was gagging. I told him to stop, just one second too late. Up came his lunch, macaroni and cheese with corn, green beans, Craisins, and milk. I really hate to give you a description of what it looked like, but it really makes the story: it looked exactly like cheesy-broccoli soup. Bet you can't guess what I was having for lunch today... Cheesy-broccoli soup!!

** So, I sit down to my computer to write about the horrible day I've been having, and what do I read about? Sick babies in need of dangerous surgery. Cowards who used guns to settle problems they had, and the heroes who rallied to save those around them. A mom struggling with taking care of her preemie baby and the financial problems that surround her family. A precious little girl who is dying of cancer.
Really, my problems aren't that bad. I can deal with the lack of sleep, the messes, the cranky kids. I am so blessed to have my children healthy and safe. Here, with me. I am so blessed because I have my health. I am so blessed to have a wonderful husband who often puts my needs before his own. I am so blessed to have wonderful family and friends. I am so blessed. I suppose seeing a little bit of reality for others has really put things into perspective.

4 comments:

Kim M said...

You/We really are so blessed! I'm sorry you are having such a bad day, but am grateful for the reminder that we really do have much to be thankful for and a Wonderful Caring Loving Patient Heavenly Father who cares about the big things and the little things in our life! Please give those precious (even if they are somewhat naughty at times) little boys a hug from a very blessed Nana.

I miss you guys,
Mom

Jenney said...

Oh we are blessed, but that doeesn't mean we don't have bad days...and we've had some doozies around here. Wow, I can feel for you!

Erin Morgan said...

We are blessed. Thanks for the reminder!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Melissa, but I had pictures of all of this going off in my head and really, I did laugh. Sorry. Maybe you just wrote it well : ) Hope you've had a good day today ! A. Jeanette