Tuesday, October 6, 2009

SERIOUSLY?!?

Have you ever been waiting for a parking space with your turn signal on and have someone take it at the last second? Have you ever been cut off by someone that believes only they have the right of way? Have you ever been watching TV and have someone take the remote and change the channel? Have you been held up in construction traffic when it narrows down to one lane and watched those people fly down the disappearing lane because they are too good to follow the rules? Have you ever had someone take the last doughnut when you had called dibs? Have you ever seen a car full of teenagers climb out of a car parked in a spot designated for expecting mothers?

Today I took my kids grocery shopping with me. The best part of going to Meijer to do my grocery shopping is that I have built in bribery when I need the boys to be good. There are several things the boys like to look at when we are getting our groceries (Lightning and Mater stuff, fishies) and there's always the 1 cent horsey ride after we've checked out. The morning, the boys did very well at the grocery store, especially considering it had already been a long morning and they were tired, so a horsey ride was definitely in order. I pulled our cart over next to the empty horse. I unbuckled Jayce and reached for two pennies in my wallet. As Jayce climbed off of his seat on my cart, a little girl, probably 6 or 7 years old, ran over and jumped on the horse. I looked at her, and started to say something when I saw her mom walk up. "_______, I think that little boy was getting on the horse next." Complaining and whining ensued, but not from my child. The mother looks at me, and says to her daughter, "Ok, fine. Just make it quick," and she put her penny in the horse to start her ride. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

You should be so proud that I managed to hold my tongue (even when Jayce asked when it was going to be his turn). I figured that I was teaching my kids a lesson in patience and how to deal with those people who always think they come first. After all, we've all dealt with situations like above, and one day my kids will too.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

When that happens to us-- I make comments to Allie and Jacob like, "It is always nice to wait patiently for our turn." "We don't want to be rude", etc... mostly to get the OTHER adults attention. It's really sad. Those kids come into the school system thinking that teachers need to bend over backwards for them. Not in my class-- my students know that they have rules and responsibilities and EVERYBODY has to abide by them. It's so frustrating and such an injustace to those kids whose parents allow them to call the shots! Way to hold your tongue though, and kudos to Jayce for being so patient!! :)

Assistant Ring Master said...

Argh! We had that happen a couple of weeks ago - except there had already been a few kids in line ahead of us (some of whom had 2 or 3 pennies each!) and then, when it was Ben's turn, an older boy jumped on the horse while Ben was climbing on! I kindly told Ben (and the boy) that he should have waited his turn. I only wish his mother had been around - but she was a few checkout lanes down yelling at her other child!

Jenney said...

Oh I so had this happen to me in a different way on Saturday. Cedarville's Homecoming was this past weekend and they had two really cute Photobooths for Alumni to get pictures taken in-for free! It took 6 different shots and then printed out a postcard size thing. I got in line with Jack behind 4 college (still IN college) girls and they proceeded to get their picture taken...and then printed it...and taken/printed and again, and again. They did it like 8 times. Keep in mind each time it took 6 pictures and then had to print. Then one got out of the booth while the others started all over again. She left and got her boyfriend and they got in and the other girls got out. Then they wanted ALL of them in another picture, which they were going to do and print 5 more times. One girl had the NERVE to look at me, you know, holding a baby, and say "you may want to get in another line because we will be awhile". I won't lie, I glared at them. One then said "maybe you should go first and then we will finish" YOU THINK???? I'd been standing there for over 10 minutes. THEY WERE FREAKING STUDENTS....it was set up for Alumni and their families!!!!
Ok, I"m done. Our pictures turned out really good and I'll put it in his baby book.

Kim M said...

Wow - that's great on Jayce's part - something tells me that little girl learned nothing. Sad that mom missed the opportunity. Good for you for holding your tongue. This mom/nana is proud of you both!

Anonymous said...

I read the comment from Kristen (up above). She's SO RIGHT! You have to wonder what the parents' upbringing was or how the grandparents would have handled the situation had they been there. Maybe no different ! ? ! Everyone for themselves nowadays! A. Jeanette

Sara said...

That is RE-diculous! You are a better person than I am. I don'tt think I would have been able to bite my tongue. Great lessons she's teaching her kids...just whine enough and you'll get what you want. Lovely!