Sunday, August 2, 2009

Just Call Me Crafty Mama

We leave on Friday for a week long vacation at a summer camp that I went to when I was a kid. We did take Jayce to it a couple of summers ago when he was only 8 months old, but this will be the kids' first true introduction to Gitche Gumee Bible Camp. If you know what the terrain looks like up there, you'd also know that it's not always easy using a stroller. So, this week I began my search for the perfect sling for me to use with my 30-35 lbs boys.
As it would turn out, there are only a few that would really work for me. And they are all very expensive (by the way, Mom and Dad, for Christmas this year I'd like a sling or two - just letting you know) and out of my price range. That's when I stumbled across the Moby Wrap and the Sleepy Wrap. What great inventions. Whomever thought of charging $40 for a long piece of material, I salute you.
I wanted one, but I couldn't fathom paying that much for one, along with the fact that I'd have to order online and wait for it to be shipped to me, most likely not making it to my possession until after our vacation. So I made one: just call me Crafty Mama. And you can call my husband the Willing Participant That Didn't Necessarily Want to Be Photographed, But Went Along With It Anyway. Or just call him Jeremy. It's easier.
Here's Jeremy with Grayson, trying out the new Moby-styled wrap.
Jayce and Jeremy proved that it was sturdy and safe, as long as you don't intentionally try to dump the kid on the floor. Jayce survived.
This should work well for hiking up north. I'm excited to try out some of the other holds that can be done with this wrap.
And since I was feeling so creative, I made this wonderful toy for Grayson that he spent at least 30 minutes straight playing with.
Just call me Crafty Mama.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I think we are going to need step by step directions on how to make your cool sling. I have always wanted one of those too, but I have never wanted to pay for it, which is a problem, haha!

Jenney said...

You did a great job! Sorry I wasn't more help to you. After doing more research in order to MAYBE be able to help you, I discovered I needed 6 yds. of fabric and I had only purchased 4...so there wasy my problem. Along with it has to be cut from 45" down to 30" to work well. Oh well!