Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thank You, Michigan

It's easy to complain about Michigan: the weather is unpredictable at times, the winters are long and cold, the economy sucks (I'd like to put it in different terminology, but "sucks" just works), etc., etc. There are some good points too. Lake Michigan has some of the most beautiful beaches, the fall leaves are gorgeous, the Mackinaw Bridge and Mackinaw Island. However, I'd have to say that my favorite thing about living in Michigan is the "Scanner Law" or The Pricing and Advertising of Consumers Items Act.
Basically, the "Scanner Law" says that, as a consumer, you have the right to pay the price that is affixed to the item you are purchasing (and furthermore, all items are supposed to be marked). Should the checkout computer charge you the wrong price (i.e. a higher price), and you catch it after you pay for your item, you are entitled to the difference plus ten times the difference (minimum of $1, maximum of $5). Let me give you an example: When my husband was at Meijer the other day, he came across the Cars isle and discovered that they had raised the price of the die cast cars. Bummer, right? Well, there were still a couple of them that were marked at the $3.59 price. Jeremy took those two and went up to the check out and was charged $3.99 for each. After a quick trip to the Customer Service desk, and he had $4.43 in his pocket. Naturally, Jeremy told me about it, and a few days later I was there with the boys looking at the Cars, and low and behold, two more cars are mismarked. Living in Michigan is great!

Dear Meijer and Toys 'R Us,
Thank you for your contribution to my son's (and husband's) obsession with Cars. Thank you for mismarking your merchandise and for not caring about your mismarked merchandise. Thank you for "paying" me to take these toys from you. We are enjoying our 7 new cars (two not pictured because they are currently residing at Grandma's house) immensely.
Thank you,
Melissa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the law has protected you from being ripped off. What if it was an honest mistake by the store? What if an employee simply failed to do their full job? No reputable retailer tries to price incorrectly. Consumers like you have every right to the correct price. That said, collecting a penalty is more like stealing. Do you also sample the Traverse City Cherries - just a few - before purchasing another bag? Shame on you.

MelArcile said...

Actually, the other day I was in the same store and my kid started eating the grapes before they were paid for. I asked the cashier if she would add on an extra dollar (he'd really gotten into them before I caught him) and she said no.
As far as collecting the penalty goes, that law is there to hold stores accountable. Each time this has happened, I have gone to the customer service desk and reported it. I have witnessed them call back to the department to tell them of the mistake. I've done my part. I'm sure that it was an honest mistake made by the store. It's also their responsibility to make sure things are marked correctly. That's also a Michigan law.