Monday, July 13, 2009

Not Me! Monday


Oh, how I look forward to Monday. What? You don't? Well, maybe you need to try confessing your flaws and shortcomings, just like MckMama, and you might start looking forward to Monday too! Let me show you how it's done, camping-style:

This weekend, I did not go camping for only one night. I did not come home after that one night because both my husband and I (and our kids?) were miserable while camping. I LOVE camping... I just don't understand why I was not so loving this weekend.

I did not forgo covering my kids with bug spray this whole week (and the bugs were bad!). I was not totally lazy, because the bug spray was not totally close by. This did not result in approximately 25 mosquito bites covering both of my boys.

I did not allow my 11 month old to scream at the top of his lungs in the middle of a camp ground while he was trying to go to sleep that one night I camped this weekend. I have not been having problems with him getting to sleep lately. I am not being completely stubborn, because he went from a baby that went to sleep well on his own (maybe five minutes of crying) to a baby that will scream for over an hour. I did not break my own rule by going back into our tent and calming him down and rocking him to sleep. I did not have to literally hold him down in the bed while he was falling asleep. I was not that desperate...

I did not laugh hysterically at my 2 year old and say to my husband, "I'm going to have to remember this for Not Me! Monday," the one night we were camping this weekend. Here's what happened: Jayce sleeps on a little blow up mattress while we are camping. One of our natural fears is that he will get up in the middle of the night and wander out of the tent without us knowing. So, when I heard Jayce's wind pants rustling around at 2:15am the other night, I quickly asked him what he was doing (I'd border on sleep walking - not literally, but he was basically still sleeping while wandering around the tent) and pulled him into bed with Jeremy and I. Jayce tossed and turned for an hour or so, and Jeremy asked him if he wanted to go back to his bed. Jayce said, "Yes," so I put him on the floor so he could get back to his bed. Apparently he was still "sleep walking" and he went over to the dog's bed, pushed her off, and tried to lay down. Lexi got up from her new position on the ground and looked at us like she was saying, "What the heck just happened?" No, we didn't let him stay there. We told Jayce that he was in Lexi's bed and that he needed to go back to his own bed. But I did not laugh hysterically about the whole situation!

Lastly, I did not contribute to my 11 month old smashing his face on the ground and getting a bloody nose two times this weekend. Grayson has a horrible habit of rocking in his booster seat once I've removed the tray. I know this; he does it all the time and I always tell him to stop because it seems like he's going to flip it forward. This weekend, while we were camping, it did not finally happen. I did not walk away from him while he was fastened into his booster seat on a folding chair. I did not anticipate this happening because I tried to distract him before I walked away. I did not turn around just in time to see the chair fold up and him flop, face forward, on the dirt and gravel. I did not yell to my mother-in-law to pick up the chair while I tried to free him from the booster seat. I did not try to hold him and cuddle him and he down right refused. It did not take me an hour to stop feeling sick to my stomach because of what had happened (although the mommy guilt has not yet dissipated...) although he wanted to get down just five minutes after he fell. I did not insist on holding him regardless... I also did not see him face plant on our back porch yesterday. I did not think about how my husband was probably going to walk in the door while Grayson was standing up at it and crying. I did not ignore that thought because I was busy getting ready to go to our friends' house for dinner. I did not shout out a warning to Jeremy just as he was opening the door and see Grayson fall flat. I did not think, Well, at least his head hit the wood door instead of the concrete floor after it happened.

What have you not done this week? Don't hold back, enter your Not Me! Monday moments over at MckMama's blog this week!

2 comments:

Drahdrah said...

Oh my goodness, I can relate to the booster chair incident. My daughter also rocks back and forth in it when the tray is removed, and I am terrified she will tip the chair over. I'll be extra careful now ! Have a great week.

Jennifer said...

Fabulous NMMs!