Friday, May 15, 2009

Mary Kay

On Thursday this week, I made plans to meet a friend and her kids at the park for a play date. Naturally, I woke up late, and rushed to get ready in time to meet her. Feeling the time pinch, I skipped my morning shower and just doused my head under the faucet to make myself somewhat presentable. I tossed my hair up into a messy ponytail and skipped makeup to try to be on time. I was still late. But that's not the point of this post.
After our park play date, I took the boys with me to the grocery store. While I was filling up our cart, I noticed a lady walking by with her cute 3 or 4 year old, curly-haired girl. I did one of those head nod things that moms do in the store as they are passing by another mom (yeah, you know what I mean, right?) and continued with my shopping. I ended our trip in the infant section, picking out a shower gift for a friend. As I turned around a corner, looking for the perfect toy to add to the gift, there was the lady with the curly haired girl. The following conversation took place, almost word for word:

Lady: Um, excuse me. Do you know what Mary Kay is?
Me: Yeah.
Lady: Do you have a consultant?
Me: No...
Lady: Well, I noticed you and your two cute boys, and I know that Sunday was Mother's Day, but I wanted to give you this $20 gift card to Mary Kay. The website is right on there. Happy Mother's Day.
Me: Oh... thank you.

She turned, heading for the check out lanes. I thought the exchange was strange, but the more I think about it, the more I can't decide which of the following three reactions I should have:

1. I should be completely thankful because some nice stranger picked me out in a store because she was drawn to my two adorable boys.
2. I looked just that horrific while walking through the grocery store (remember, no shower, bad hair, and of course, no makeup!) that some stranger felt pity on me (and was trying to boost her new *business) and gave me $20 of free product.
3. A combination of the two.

I'm leaning towards option #3, but I am quite sure that my appearance definitely played a bigger role in her picking me. I'm pretty sure I should be offended. Moral of the story: don't go out unless you've showered, done your hair perfectly, applied your make-up flawlessly, your kids have been scrubbed clean, with clean clothes and perfectly cut hair, and of course, you must be dressed in all the latest fashions. Or maybe I'm a stay-at-home mom who doesn't always have time to shower and put on makeup before leaving the house!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Amen sister! Where do people get the time to shower, do hair and makeup with two kids? (one of my biggest stress factors about being pregnant with #2!) By the way, based on my past experiences, some MK ladies (no offense to anyone reading this) can be a little "stalkerish" about getting new business. I'm sure you looked HOT :)

nancy said...

You are a truthful Mom and we have all been there....Even when are kids are grown!!!

Anonymous said...

Well...being on the other end of that scenerio I think I can shed some light on this.
#1 - you DO have a consultant anytime you want one...(hint-Aunt Paula or Heather) and although I try not to force or expect anyone in the family to purchase from me I would love to do a facial with you and whenever you want something you can always buy from me.
#2-she is probably doing what we are taught...handing out 5 cards a day to someone you think would enjoy being pampered for a little while knowing that only 1-2 of those women will actually call or set up an appointment. We usually look for sharp women! We are taught to not judge people but offer a service. (the Golden Rule)

SO...I would take it as a compliment and don't worry about what she thought. Sounds like you need a pampering session...???? :)
Aunt Paula

Lacey said...

Thats pretty awesome... :) I would love $20 free dollars of mary kay! I just ran out of my eye makeup remover a few weeks ago... Iv resorted to buying it from meijer instead... ugh.

Paula said...

Lacey...if you don't have a consultant and need MK, you can order directly off my website at www.marykay.com/pparrish14 and I'll send it directly to you in the mail.

Missy - let's get together one of these weekends you are over here to visit and we'll get you pampered!!! Love you - Aunt Paula