Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oh, How Embarrassing...

I had a crazy dream last night. As I woke up this morning, I could still recall it in vivid detail. That rarely happens to me, so let me tell you all about it.

In my dream, Jeremy and I were at a friend's house, letting our children play together, having dinner, and playing games. As the night came to an end, we packed up our things in the usual fashion: juggling two kids, diaper bags, purses, a pack n' play, etc. Amazingly, we managed to get all of our things to the car, so all Jeremy and I had to carry out was our two children. I grabbed Jayce, Jeremy carried Grayson and we said good bye. In my dream, it was raining slightly, so I was singing with Jayce and we walked out to the car: "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring...." I think there was a slight dance to my steps.

Suddenly, I felt something under my foot - a stick or a rock. My weak ankles (darn those basketball practices in high school!) couldn't take the added stress and I was falling.... Falling forward, with my two year old son in my arms. In my dream, I didn't have time to think about anything but protecting my child. I "tucked and rolled", ending up on my knees and elbows hoping to soften the blow for Jayce. He looked up at me from his seated position on the wet pavement, and said, "Mommy?" and began to cry.

I could feel the sting of a skinned knee and the rain water soaking into my jeans. I could tell by the pain in my ankle that getting up was going to be a problem. "Mommy?" Jayce wailed. I picked him up and held him from my kneeling position on the driveway. I requested Jeremy's help getting myself and Jayce off of the pavement, but he had Grayson and was trying to get him into the car. I looked back to the house of our friends, and I could see my friend looking out their door, undoubtedly wondering what I was doing sitting in their driveway in the rain. A wave of embarrassment washed over me, and I decided to suck it up and pry myself off of the ground....

As I lay in bed this morning, thinking about my dream and the embarrassment I felt in it, I started to feel a twinge of pain, radiating from my ankle. I threw the covers off of me and immediately saw the bandage on my knee and felt my throbbing ankle. Oh crap, it wasn't a dream. I'm so embarrassed....

6 comments:

Lacey said...

oh my gosh! this cracked me up... Are you and Jayce ok???? ! :)

Lindzerelli said...

I'm far more compassionate than Lacey... ;) I didn't laugh at all! Do you think that your ankle is sprained? I hate when things like that happen. On a lighter note, you should take pictures with your new camera!

Assistant Ring Master said...

Now I'm so embarrassed - I was going to ask if you were ok and if you needed help but I didn't want to interupt you while you were talking to Jeremy. Then I saw you start to get up and figured you were ok...
Sorry! The giant sticks in the driveway are totally my fault - a favorite play toy of the kids that I never move...
I promise, next time I will just run out immediately and help in anyway possible (and move the sticks from your path before you arrive)
On another note, how is Jer? Ha, ha!

Jenney said...

Oh dear! I am SO SORRY you fell! Keep us updated on your healing!

Lacey said...

I only laughed cuz I totally thought it was a dream the whole time I was reading until the very end... THAT made me laugh... :)

Ravin2 said...

Melissa, your blog has made you into a very creative writer! That was really good. Laughing... kind of. Empathy... yeah, that too. But, entertainment... definitely! Keep up the stories, your real life is way better than the movies!