Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sometimes I Forget...

Once upon a time, I studied to become a teacher. Sometimes I forget that. Once upon a time, I was trained to work with young children. Sometimes I forget that. Once upon a time, it was actually an assignment of mine to gather toys specifically for teaching children of a preschool age. I still have those toys in my attic storage area. Sometimes I forget that...
Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the day to day activities involved in being a mother. Get up, change diapers, get breakfast for kids, sneak a bite or two myself, change diapers, entertain by reading books, building with blocks, toys of all kinds, change diapers... ok, you see where I'm going here. Therefore, we tried something new the other day. I dug around in that attic storage space and pulled out some supplies from my Early Childhood Education days. We found my bin of beans the most entertaining...
It didn't take Jayce long to dig right in. I threw in some old Easter eggs that were sitting around and we make noise makers (or shaking eggs like they are called at Library Laptime). I also dug around in my outgoing recycling bin (after all, using those plastic containers would be considered recycling, right?) for a few things to add in. Jayce thought it was great just scooping up beans and pouring them into other containers.
This was super easy to do. Although, I had added bird seed to mine tub when I first put this stuff together... I wouldn't recommend that. There were some smaller parts that made quite a mess. Part of our fun was getting to sweep up all of the beans that made it out of the tub with a little hand held broom and dust pan.
Sometimes I forget what fun it can be to explore new, fun activities. This one is just wondering when he gets to join in now...

3 comments:

Jenney said...

Yeah for recycling! I love it!

Ravin2 said...

Yeah, that's actually better than recycling! If you use something twice then you were able to use a 100% post-consumer product before it ever made it to the refinery. Well done, I always brag about how bright your kids are because of your creativity and education!

Lacey said...

This is excellent. :) I love it... :)
I remember those days... so long ago....