Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Success

Have you ever had one of those days where you feel like time just escaped from you? I have. They usually include my kids watching TV more than I'd like to mention, no housework getting done, laundry and dishes in need of washing but not touched, dinner came from an outside source or from the freezer (pizza anyone?), and at the end of the day, I can't really remember what I have done. Today was not one of those days!

I must admit, I feel quite pleased with myself. Today, I managed to accomplish one of those "Supermom" kind of days that just makes me smile. I cleaned (seriously, cleaned - the vacuum and duster were used!), did dishes, laundry, make an awesome dinner that was way outside of my usual caliber of cooking, and I took the time to be cool mom. We built a fort in our living room. Just don't tell Jayce that it's a fort - he's convinced it's a tent.
We spent the entire morning in the "tent". Jayce read books, transferred all of toys I managed to get put away back into the tent, played games (his favorite - Jayce says, "Where's Jayce?" while hiding in the tent, then says, "Here he is!" while jumping out. He thinks it's hilarious), and just plain hung out in our tent.
Grayson got in on the action when he wasn't napping too. Jayce wanted to "hold" Grayson today. I'm not convinced that it's holding when they practically weigh the same...
Daddy spent some time in the tent after dinner too. Jayce and Daddy had a blast building tall towers with blocks, playing with a flashlight, and hanging out. Hmm... I hope Daddy helps put away all of those toys they got out!
Did I mention my culinary expertise? Ok, I'm certainly not going to win any awards or be admitted to culinary school, but my husband was pleased with the change of course this week. I have to admit, I'm not exactly a great cook. I make the basics just about everyday - tacos, spaghetti, mac n' cheese (homemade - just like Grandma used to make it, Jenney!), salads, etc. are usually on my hit list. However, I tried something new (to me) that I'd never made before. Yesterday, the day of the sickness, I made pot roast. My mom knows this about me - I don't touch raw meat. I find something absolutely disgusting about handing raw meat. And I was going to be a doctor in another life... I digress. I made pot roast. And it was pretty delicious. Tonight, I used the left overs and made beef stew with homemade biscuits.
I impress myself. My husband too... I'm afraid he's going to start expecting this kind of cooking all the time.
Now, I'm blogging, the boys are playing with Daddy, and I'm looking forward to turning on LOST tonight, guilt free, because I've been so productive today. Go me!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days ago, Grayson celebrated his half birthday. I can't believe 6 months have already passed. We celebrated by me trying to do a "photo shoot" of sorts with him in our living room. I think I managed to get a couple of good shots!
I like this one because you can see exactly what I was trying to do, and how Jayce was so excited to play on my "backdrop". Oh well, it made for a cute picture!
So, tomorrow, Grayson goes in for his 6 month well baby check-up. Place your guesses in the comments section about how big you think he is going to be!! Your prize will be a special shout out to the winner... and a big ol' smile from me!

5 comments:

Jenney said...

I am going to guess...30 lbs 4 oz but is that possible? You said he and Jayce are almost the same size, and I know James and Jayce are kinda close and James is like 32 lbs...so I guess that is my guess. Length, I have NO idea, I never even know how long my kids are.

Jenney said...

Did I see a Jenney taggie in that fort? Does Grayson like it? Jack holds his all the time and rubs the tags on his nose.
Also, do you have the same chairs at your house as your mom and dad?
Also, I didn't like grandma's macaroni and cheese...I dreaded it. I only liked box mac and cheese growing up, and I still don't like it baked...I know I am terrible. My kids eat Annie's now though because of the MSG.
And do I see some teeth in Grayson's mouth?

Assistant Ring Master said...

I am going to guess double 30's: 30 lbs., 30 inches. (I know, that would be a major height growth spurt, but it sounded better to guess 30 for both!)

You keep loving that baby and don't let the doctor give you any crap tomorrow! And if they tell you to switch to fat free milk when he's one, please laugh in their face for me? Oh that's right, you get the good doctor, not the nurse practitioner...

Kim M said...

Congrats on a great day! It does feel good to get things accomplished! The dinner looks great and I like the new dishes.

My guess is 29.5 lbs and 31 inches long (make sure he straigtens those legs all the way out!

Looking forward to your post on LOST - I'm confused about who to believe with Ben and Charles Widmore!

Shelleyrae33 said...

Wow! Way to go on the dinner-it looks delicious!

I can't wait to hear how much Grayson weighs/how long he is!

Love the fort (oops..I mean tent!)