Sunday, January 4, 2009

You Haven't Lived If...

You haven't been up all night long with a sick kid that has the flu.

Notice the previous post. See my poor 2-year-old child sitting on my lap, watching TV with his mother - who knew what would be the rest of the night...

Jayce went to bed at 8:30pm. As the wonderful mother that I am, I dutifully changed his sheets before tucking him in for the night. I think I've mentioned it before, but Jayce is not a great sleeper. That's why the boys are not sharing a room yet - poor Grayson has taken up residence in our closet at the moment. So, when I heard crying coming from Jayce at 10:30pm, I didn't think anything of it. He kept crying off and on for a while, and I got used to it apparently, because I woke up on the couch at 12:30am, excited about the fact that I was going to bed earlier than I had the rest of the week. Or that's what I thought. As I was getting ready for bed, Jayce started crying again. By the time I'd sent a text to Jeremy (he's working tonight, of course!) saying that I wasn't feeling well (my stomach was bothering me...) and that I was going to bed, Jayce had stopped. I figured that I'd check on him, just to make sure that everything was ok. I opened the door and didn't see him - I figured that he was laying down asleep. But I thought I'd smelled something not right. Maybe he'd had a stinky diaper and that's why he was crying. I look again, and Jayce is standing at the back of his crib. He looks at me and says, "Spit up." That's when it hits me - not poop, but puke...

So, now that I've striped down the boy, brushed his teeth, given him a bath, turned on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (he was laying on the couch while I was cleaning up everything), stripped down the bed, rinsed out the bed linens and pj's in the bathtub because we don't have a sink in our laundry room (which I totally want now!!), fought the urge to get sick myself, wiped down the crib and mattress with Clorox wipes, Lysol-ed the stuffed animals that live in his bed (but did not get "spit up" on them), cleaned out the tub, taken the boys temperature (no fever!) with our new femoral thermometer (thanks Grandma and Grandpa - who knew we'd be using that Christmas present so soon!), boiled 4 pascies, remade bed with random sheets and mattress pad because I'd just taken the other set we have off earlier that night, redressed boy for bed, re-read books to boy so he'd go to bed, started a full load of laundry, washed my hands about 1000 times.... and blogged about it, I'm going to bed. Not early.

3 comments:

Erin Morgan said...

So sorry to hear that Jayce was sick. Hopefully he won't get you up later in the night!

Keep us posted!

Lacey said...

Poor melissa... poor jayce... :( Its over now though right??

Auto Angel said...

Buy branded orthopaedic mattress with free 24 hr delivery