Thursday, August 21, 2008

Grayson Nathaniel Meyers Makes His Entrance

Yes, he's finally here! This pregnancy has been a long and difficult process for me, but boy (he, he) was it worth it!
Our journey to delivery started on Monday morning. I had a weekly check-up that also included an ultrasound to check the size of the baby. My doctor had been concerned for a couple of weeks about how big I was measuring. Because the ultrasound estimated that the baby was 9 pounds, 6 ounces, my doctor decided to schedule an induction for me on Wednesday, August 20, one week shy of my due date. I can't even begin to tell you what a HUGE relief it was to be to have an end in sight. To give you an idea of what I was looking like those last couple of days: I rode the elevator to my doctor's office with a stranger. During our short ride, she congratulated me, asked me when I was due, and asked if it was twins. Like I said, I was ready to be done!!
Jeremy and I were scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 4am on Wednesday, August 20. After checking in, completing all of the charting, and getting an IV, I was given petocin to start laboring around 6am. Things went pretty slow until my water was broken around 11am. By 5pm I was done feeling the contractions so I requested an epidural. After my epidural things began to progress quickly - And after three quick pushes, Grayson Nathaniel Meyers was born at 8:47pm.

Grayson's namesake is of great importance to us, so let me share where it came from. While the name Grayson was something I had heard while at Wendy's with Jayce one day, Nathaniel was Jeremy's cousin's name. Nate Borger was killed in a motorcycle accident in April 2008, and Jeremy and I wanted to honor a great man by using his name for our second child.
Jayce stayed up late the night that Grayson was born to be able to come up to the hospital to meet his little brother. Well, honestly, I really wanted to see Jayce - being a stay-at-home mom means that I pretty much spend 24/7 with Jayce and going a whole day without seeing him was pretty hard on me. He did have a hard time when he first came into the labor and delivery - I looked strange because I was a little bit pale, in a gown, sitting in bed, with an IV in my hand. But he was very excited to see the baby!
He, however, wasn't too sure about mommy holding the baby. Eventually he did warm up to Grayson and me.
Our first, four-person family picture!
All wrapped up!! Grayson did great his first night. We had decided that Jeremy would sleep at home while I was in the hospital because it would be good for Jayce to have some resemblance of normalcy and Jeremy would actually be able to get some sleep that way. Grayson spent part of his first night in the nursery so that I would be able to sleep. Grayson proved himself to be a great sleeper that first night, so he did come back and hang out with me after a while. What a cutie-pie, huh?
The next morning Jayce came back to the hospital with Jeremy to try to get somewhat acclimated to the idea of the baby being around. Because I was able to get up and get dressed this time, Jayce warmed up to me immediately. He wasn't thrilled when I held Grayson, so he got to sit on my lap also.
He was also game when it came to giving the baby (what Jayce is calling Grayson right now) hugs and kisses. He's really gentle with him so far too! What a good big brother!!
Jeremy and I were thrilled that Jer's dad was able to come up to the hospital two times now. If you don't know his story, know that he's been pretty sick lately, so it was good for him to be able to visit (good for both Jer and his dad).
All in all, we are all pretty tired after a day of visitors and little sleep. So, Jeremy's heading home to Jayce, Grayson is heading for the nursery, and I'm going to lay down for a little bit of sleep. We'll see you again soon!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Congrats Meyer's family! Grayson is so cute!

Lacey said...

Wow... I cant believe you just had a baby and had time sit sit down and write all that! Youre pretty amazing... Now I feel all caught up! :) See you soon!